A passageway to improvement

For the past few weeks I have been focusing solely on my performance and how it can be improved. Since all the texts have been written and chosen for the piece, I can only make a few edits regarding their content. However, there have been several changes in regards to the order of these texts and the order of the objects. For example, a text based on the expeditions of Franklin through the North West passage was, at the start of the process, going to be performed at the end of the piece. However, after a great deal of thought this section has now been moved to the beginning of the performance as it will greatly benefit the performance as a whole in this position. In addition, the use of the Gluck has also been under various alterations. While it was originally decided that the Gluck would be used only at the end, it has been changed so that it is played several times throughout the piece. This should give the performance a more authentic feel. In regards to the 3-D footage, it has all come together brilliantly. I have also been looking into the work of the theatre group Seven Sisters who utilise both sound and video within their projects to give the audience an experience they will never forget. While their project Atalanta (Seven Sisters Group, 2010) used video and sound in a different way to how my performance will, their use of these techniques when regarding Greek mythology has inspired me further emphasise these aspects within my performance. Also the fact that they use video footage to match the audience’s path is similar to my piece as I use the 3-D video to match the description of my descent down St Peter’s passage. For the next week, all that is possible for me to do is to continue rehearsing and aiming to improve my vocal techniques and movement.

Bibliography

Seven Sisters Group. (23 July 2010) Atalanta. [performance] Seven Sisters Group (Dir.) Oxford: Ashmoleon Museum.