Joe Retold

Developing my performance has taken many different twists and turns throughout the past few months. However, recently my performance gained inspiration from a play called Penelope Retold (Horton, 2015), a solo piece depicting the life of Odysseus wife during his absence. The way in which the actress, Caroline Horton, switched from different persona’s is something which I will base my performance on when changing to the different speeches. The way in which Horton interacted with the audience is also something in which I will use during my performance. While I only interact with the audience once within the performance, I will take inspiration from her strong tone and confidence when speaking to an audience member,

Furthermore, the 3-D film with which I am using has experienced some problems, the main one being that the computers haven’t recognized the files. However, fortunately we have found a way round this problem but instead of using a projector we may have to use regular 3-D film.

In terms of my actual performance, the idea has once again further developed regarding the items I will be using. I have found more items, such as cigarette ends and a sleeping bag, which will enhance the authenticity of my portrayal of St Peter’s passage. In addition, rather than myself solely speaking I have decided to add a voice recording and piece of music at the end of the piece. While creating diversity within the piece, it also allows the tone of the performance to become much more authentic and thus develop the dark atmosphere I will to create.

Bibliography

Horton, C. (2015) Penelope Retold. [Performance] Lucy Doherty (dir.) Lincoln: Lincoln Performing Arts Centre, 20 March.