Discovering the City

Before trying out some of our banner ideas in the high street, we decided it would be a good idea to explore our site further. so we drifted the length of our site, discovering things that we had never seen or noticed before. ‘hidden inside the functionality of the cilincoln 3ty are the secrets of texture and the funny ghosts of pattern. Because the purloined symbols of the city are all still available for us to steal back’ (Crabman and Signpost, 2011).  Sometimes it is easy to forget that Lincoln is one of the oldest cities in the country, until you reach steep hill its easy to forget it is anything other than a purpose built easy access area for consumers to spend money.

Even after living here for nearly two years I realised there is so much of the city that i have never seen, being too busy wrapped up in my life, I’ve never stopped to discover the history and the at first glance hidden parts that make up the back bone of the city. Walking up steep hill we noticed the changes in brick work as new and old bulincoln 2ildings had been fused together as well as doors that no longer have use.

The Most interesting part of the whole trip however was learning the history of the city I live in and seeing it in a new context, taking what I only ever considered to be a place which had one purpose, to allow me to buy the things I need and seeing it as it used to be all those years ago.

Crab Man and Signpost (2011) A Sardine Street Box of Tricks.