St Peters Odyssey

For the past week I have been experimenting with various writing techniques and topics, ranging from writing my own perception of the alley from memory to adapting Homer’s epic poem the Odyssey. While doing this was very challenging, for example changing the wording of Greek mythology to fit a piece relating to Lincoln was problematic; I found the process quite intriguing. This is because I had to further my knowledge of the passage as I had to consider all the minute details of it, such as the shape of the barbed wire. I also looked at the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice and tried to describe the passage in a way that links to a Nazi ghetto. In relation to the myth, the concept of Orpheus walking through the underworld and not being allowed to look back or he will lose Eurydice forever is very interesting. This is because during the passage at night, one does not feel compelled to look back due to the possibility of there being danger, however like Orpheus, one always does.

In addition, the idea of myself presenting the piece in a similar way to that of a lecturer has drastically changed. To improve the overall quality of the piece and to make it more authentic I have decided, with help from Conan that the piece will begin with me inside a sleeping bag. This derives from ‘the fascination… that our machines have brought us together and held us apart’ (Etchells ,8) with other living people as I once experienced a guy in a sleeping bag shouting, either at me or the wall.

Etchells, T. Eight Fragments on Theatre and the City in Certrain Fragements. (London: Routledge, 1999)